1/11/2011

Barren Earth - Curse of the Red River (2010)

The first thing you need to know about Barren Earth - They fucking rule!

Second thing ya best know about Barren Earth - You need to buy this album!

For the misinformed, Barren Earth is a semi-star Finnish project initiated by bassist Olli-Pekka Laine (ex-Amorphis) in 2007. Joining him is vocalist Mikko Kotamäki (Swallow the Sun), guitarists Janne Perttilä (Moonsorrow) & Sami Yli-Sirniö (Waltari), keyboardist Kasper Mårtenson (ex-Amorphis), drummer Marko Tarvonen (Moonsorrow) and session flutist Erno Haukkala (Alamaailman Vasarat). In late 2009 Peaceville Records released their debut EP, 'Our Twilight' and in March of 2010 this monster of a debut, which the band has decided to call, 'Curse of the Red River' was unleashed.

Probably the easiest way to describe this album is to say it sounds like late 90's Amorphis, meaning a mixture between their milestone, 'Elegy' and their softer prog rock kinda metal stuff like, 'Tuonela,' which is no surprise since these are the last two recordings Olli played on. I pick up a little bit of an Opeth influence too though it seems clear to me that the bands intention was to pick up where Amorphis originally went slightly astray and goddamn it they do it marvelously!

So, with that said here's what to expect: Ridiculously memorable mid-paced songs with harmonious guitar riffs, kick ass lead solos, both deep growled vocals and emotionally charged cleanly sung parts, decent drumming and audible bass work as well as progressive keyboards, which remind me of bands like Uriah Heep and other prog bands, but in any case again they are similar in style to the ones found on those old Amorphis records.

I don't say it so often, but I like just about every song on this album. Seriously, songs like, 'Curse of the Red River,' 'Flicker' and especially 'The Ritual of Dawn' are so insanely catchy that I'm quite sure after just one listen you'll be hooked on this stuff. But the best part is that these are the type of songs that are both fetching but also hard hitting. I mean seriously I've spent much time head banging and allowing all of these songs to infect me, possess me, and completely pump me up while I listen to them and in all seriousness if I get to hear The Ritual of Dawn live I'm going to have a damn moment, man! A fucking moment! Oh, and that's right, Barren Earth hooked up the opening slot on, 'The Finnish Metal Tour Part II,' which kicks off mid-February. You're all going, right?!

In the end this is surely one of the better records released in 2010, but then again I didn't pay that much attention to new music last year, but nevertheless I say it rocks and I'm sticking to that opinion. You'd do well to check this one out, is what I'm trying to say here.

No comments:

Post a Comment