8/20/2011

Forbidden - Omega Wave (2010)

My relationship with Forbidden is a bit weird and I can't honestly say I cared much about them until about ten months ago when I saw them with Bonded by Blood, Gama Bomb and Evile. Fact is however that I knew the bands name when I was a kid, friends probably played me their songs at some point and I may very well have had one of their albums in my hands while music hunting, but the fact is I never bought any Forbidden albums until recently. Now ten months since that first gig I've seen Forbidden three friggin' times and think I'm starting to get sick of them. So, let's take a look at their comeback album, 'Omega Wave' before that happens.

In case you didn't know Forbidden's roots date back to the mid 80's and in '88 and '90 they released semi-thrash classics, 'Forbidden Evil' & 'Twisted into Form,' but with thrash metal disappearing after '91 the band was forced to continue onwards in a different path. As such, 'Distortion' & 'Green' were a bit different, more modern or something in style and after Green the band was finished. Ten years later the guys decided to give it a go once more and in late 2010 Omega Wave finally hit.

Omega Wave features a good mixture of the speedy thrash metal Forbidden was known for in their early days with also plenty of mid-paced or even slower metal songs, which may be similar to the bands last two albums. The bands melodic touches also remain intact and I'd have to say that's a good a thing since it keeps things interesting between the speedier and mid-paced/slow songs.

Original member Craig Locicero as well as his new rhythm guitarist partner Steve Smyth sound fantastic throughout this record with tons of catchy and hard driven riffs as well as some fine solos here and there. New drummer Mark Hernandez also does a fine job behind the kit and vocalist Russ Anderson sounds superb throughout most of this record, especially the songs, 'Dragging my Casket' & Hopenosis.'

There is however one unforgivable aspect of this record, which just tends to kill it for me and that happens to be the length. Being twelve songs deep and just a little bit over an hour it seems like too much of the same thing for too long of time. I really think a lot of the songs could have been shorter or perhaps two of these songs should have been cut entirely, as well, pointless instrumentals like, 'Chatter' were hardly needed either.

Despite some issues, 'Omega Wave' is a decent come back album and old fans will most likely appreciate it and I'm sure for the members its a fun little thrill for the guys now that they are all in their early to mid 40's.

No comments:

Post a Comment