7/31/2012

Baltic Thunder

One morning, just a little over a month ago I found myself swimming in the Baltic Sea at about 5 AM, completely wasted and not exactly sure what the hell was going on or about to happen. I figure its either a good or bad thing that I didn't have this one on hand. Nevertheless, I sip, drink and eventually chug this one for you today.

Baltic Thunder pours out as a dark mahogany shade, but eventually darkens, in less of course you hold it to the light. This porter has a thick head, which doesn't seem to be disappearing, but I think that's simply because I had it in the freezer cooling too long and looking into my glass I see slush, rather than liquid. Sticking my nose in the glass reveals a very sweet fruitiness with a slight roasty backing. The flavor is a bit on the roasty side, some chocolate and a berry taste to finish. Not bad at all! I'm also picking up on some sort of creamy bittersweetness with a pinch of spice somewhere in there. This is very good, definitely one to buy again!

Brewed by Victory Brewing Company in Pennsylvania, USA, Baltic Thunder is my first with these guys, but from the looks of things they have quite a few selections available. This particular one comes in a tall bottle with decent artwork that is 1 Pint and 6 Fl. Oz. with 8.5% alcohol by volume. This brew honors the Baltic God of Thunder, Perkūnas, one of the most important deities in the Baltic pantheon. In both Lithuanian and Latvian mythology, he is documented as the god of thunder, rain, mountains, oak trees, sky and now alcohol! The gods are happy... and drunk!

1 comment: