7/07/2012

From Hell to Helsinki, part II - An American at Tuska

For the second year in a row I made my way out to Helsinki, Finland for the 15th annual Tuska Open Air Metal Festival. Last year I found myself in an absolute paradise of great metal music, superb people and just fantastic fun from start to finish. However, colossal experiences rarely repeat themselves, so I really didn't know what to expect out of this year, especially with the line-up not being as exciting as last year. Little did I know that this Tuska would be an even bigger blast for me.

Not only was I looking forward to three days of metal music, but also seeing my friends from last year, which admittedly took sometime from viewing bands, but it was quite worth it since I made some new friends in the process and had some great times together with everyone. I should also point out that from the first day I arrived in Helsinki until the morning I was to leave I was drinking with friends. To me alcohol and metal go quite well together and I pretty much guarantee the high alcohol levels only made the experience more fun and exciting, though perhaps made some of it a blur to me in the end.

Day 1: After meeting a good friend (and his friend too) at the train station we had lunch and eventually made our way to Tuska, but we had to part ways since I needed to pick up my press pass. I walked in just as Exodus was hitting the Radio Rock Stage and quite early into their set a frantic mosh pit/chase began. Exodus mostly stuck to songs from their debut, 'Bonded by Blood,' and although the line-up is considerably different the band played the songs with the same level of intensity and fun as they did back in '85 when the album was originally released. It should be noted that Exodus did recently re-record that album and although I refuse to listen to it at least it sounded good live. A horde of young thrashers also rocked out to some of the bands newer songs, which I'm not familiar with, but at least I know, 'War is my Shepherd' from the, 'Tempo of the Damned' record. All in all I was surprised, especially since the last time I saw Exodus (around '06) at a small club back home they were kind of lame, but this gig made up for it.

I eventually found my friends again and having missed Alcest and not knowing what to watch next we made our way over to the Inferno Stage to watch Suidakra. I remember this tent was really, really warm last year, but I was pleasantly surprised to find it was quite different this time. I'd seen Suidakra about five years ago in Chicago and I guess back then I was more informed on what they were doing, but in recent years I've completely forgotten about the band. Although from Germany they play a sort of Celtic/folk melodic death metal, which is characterized by those sorts of influences plus highly melodious guitar riffs, which is hit or miss for most people. I remember really enjoying these guys the last time I saw them, but perhaps since I'd only been out of bed a few hours and perhaps because I had not drank much yet it really wasn't doing much for me. We moved on.

Around this time I met up with some more friends from last year and from a distance we drank, talked and watched Edguy, which is a largely hilarious power metal band from Germany, which never did a damn thing for me all these years that I've known them. A bit later and after much alcohol already it was time for doom legends, Saint Vitus, which I was thrilled to see. Saint Vitus played for a solid hour and honestly at the time their heavy traditional doom metal was just what I needed to finally really get me into the music. The band played a good selection of old material from as early as '85 and throughout the 80's when they reigned supreme as well I suspect some newer songs, which I didn't recognize since I haven't bought the new album just yet. The band was spot on and with Wino back at the vocal position after all these years they were absolutely colossal and as far as I'm concerned they were the best band that afternoon. Later on when Megadeth was playing I ran into Dave and Mark and was able to share a few words before taking a photo together. Thanks guys!

With sometime to kill before anything interesting was playing I met back up with friends for at least one more drink and eventually watched a little bit of the Finnish death metal band, Demigod, which has one classic album from the early 90's called, 'Slumber of Sullen Eyes,' but it seems the band broke up shortly after that and didn't reform until more recent years. Personally I never heard that album or even knew much about them, but from the couple songs I watched they seemed like your fairly standard death metal band with hard growls and some really good solos too. I'd probably try buying this old record, but it seems to be way out of print and going on eBay for ridiculous prices. Oh well.

Finally it was time for Arcturus and being a huge fan of the first three albums I was quite pumped, especially knowing that I'll never, ever get to see this in America. Unfortunately, Garm isn't a part of the reformed Arcturus, rather Vortex is, and although I enjoy the guys voice it was weird hearing him sing the songs I know so well with Garm at the mic. The band played songs like, 'Nightmare Heaven' & 'Master of Disguise' and thankfully my personal favorite, 'The Choas Path.' A few newer songs were within the setlist, which I'm really not familiar with, but the fact that they closed with, 'Raudt Og Svart' & 'Alone' left me with one huge smile on my face.

With really not much else to watch and wanting to be as far away as possible from the hopelessly awful Hatebreed I met back up with friends for more booze. Together we all watched Megadeth and since this was my 6th or 7th time seeing them there wasn't much to expect as far as surprises are concerned. Of course the band played a bunch of their classics from the 80's and early 90's, which I grew up with and know just about ever word too, and you know Megadeth is just never boring... as long you're properly intoxicated at least, which is the only way I've ever watched them. In any case my friends and I watched from a distance, acted like fools, sang the songs, feel all over the place and had a damn fine time together.

Later that evening a few friends and I made our way to The Virgin Oil Co. for Gaf, Ghoul Patrol and Moonsorrow. We missed the first band, heard about two songs of the second band, which was decent melodic death metal and then was completely blown over by Moonsorrow. Or at least I surely was. The band played an absolute first class set list with songs like, 'Kuin ikuinen,' 'Raunioilla,' 'Sankaritarina' and I went absolutely mad for my favorite song, 'Kylän päässä.' Earlier during, 'Huuto' however something happened and I can't even explain it. I cried. I had tears running down my face and I have no idea why. Looking back I was probably drunk, but I remember thinking about just how much fun I was having that day and how much I love being in Finland, but knowing that I'd have to go back to the slave grind that is America eventually I just couldn't hold it in. I can admit it and you can say whatever you want, but for some reason the melodies in this song and the experience of being in a real thriving metal scene where people actually understood me really got to me... The band would close their set with, 'Kivenkantaja,' which really hit the spot and made it the perfect evening.

From there it was more drinking and complete foolery until about 3:30 AM when we finally decided that sleep might not be such bad idea after all.

Day 2: We arrived on Saturday on time to catch Estonian folk metalers, Metsatöll just before they hit the stage and I have to admit after becoming a fan a few years ago I was quite excited to see them, especially knowing that they'll probably never tour the USA. The band played for less than an hour, but they ripped through a few songs I knew as well as a few I didn't which are probably from the new album or the earlier stuff I still haven't bought. In any case it was quite enjoyable, especially watching Varulven jump between various strange and interesting folk instruments. Right after that we watched Anaal Nathrakh, which I've been a fan of since their debut in 2001 and never really expecting them to play live I was quite happy to see them onstage in front of me. I can say that although the band really destroyed the Inferno stage it felt like something was missing that you can hear on the albums. I suppose the intensity of the albums would be hard to re-create live, but it seemed like the crowd was not entirely into it and they missed their role on, 'Submission is for the Weak.' That line again, people is, "Down on your knees!!!!"

Sometime would pass before I'd stand in front of any bands again, but meanwhile the drinking would continue as we watched Textures and Mokoma from a distance, and while Textures seemed entirely boring Mokoma was a bit different. I can't say I exactly enjoyed their set, but their strange mixture and jumping around of genres was interesting, plus since they sing in Finnish it made it me feel like I was really apart of this place while watching. I guess they played a fan voted album in its entirety, which must have been a lot of fun for those that knew it well. The drinking would continue with friends, a nice girl with big tits would sell me some condoms, I met Mika from Impaled Nazarene and enjoyed an interesting conversation with him and eventually it was time for Horna to take the stage. Argh! Talk about an awesome experience with these guys! The only black metal band on the festival and fortunately it happened to be one of my favorites from Finland. I can admit that I didn't seem to recognize many songs played, but this highly atmospheric and quite raw and evil performance was something to behold. Their seemed to be an aura of sorts surrounding the band and it totally engulfed everyone in front of the Inferno stage that afternoon. Definitely the feeling and look was spot on for Horna on this day.

Soon after that we walked to the Hellsinki Rock Shop Stage where we would watch Insomnium next. Although I'm only familiar with the bands first two albums I was still quite excited for their performance and I suppose my friend was really pumped since he knows all of their work well. As luck would have it no songs from those first two albums were played, but everything else sounded fantastic and it just reminded me that I really need to get my act together and buy the rest of these guys records. Sometime passed after that when I met up with friends again and from a distance we talked, drank and watched the ultra corny power metal band Sonata Arctica, but I can admit with the right level of alcohol in you stuff like this can be fun. Sabaton would prove that to be true soon enough. It was also around this time that it began to rain, a Tuska first I'm told, but hopefully not a curse upon all our heads. From there I watched Swallow the Sun, but was sometime disappointed since it was just songs from the new album, which I haven't heard and the last album, which I really didn't like much at all. Besides that there was one song from the debut, which saved their performance for me, but my friend and I decided to move on since the rain had passed and we caught the last few minutes of Behemoth, which is superb band to always see live.

The headliner that day, Swedish power metal band Sabaton took the stage soon afterwards and its a good thing I'd drank a lot and had friends who were really passionate about their music since it made for a really enjoyable and silly time, even though I'd probably never actually listen to such music at home. The rest of the night and early morning was spent drinking and doing a shit load of crazy things, which will remain unknown here. I seemed to remember finally getting back to my hotel around 6 AM. Thanks friends for a great night!

Day 3: With only a few hours of sleep we woke up, got food, hit a bar and eventually made it to Tuska for the final day. With not much of interest that day we were in no hurry, but when we arrived (already a little goofy from alcohol) Overkill was hitting the stage. I can't tell you much about what songs they played, but as we drank and thrashed around that afternoon I knew we were all having a total blast together. Also the weather was perfect, actually quite warm and beautiful so it made the whole day a heck of a lot better. Lamb of God was suppose to play this afternoon, but due to some sort of arrest they were fortunately replaced by Finland's own, Finntroll, and MY FUCKING GOD what an experience we had during this one. All I can say is I never, ever witnessed or was a part of something that was so much fun and weird all at once. I'm not sure if it was Finntroll or the fact that everyone was drunk, but during their set you could find moshing, conga lines, bunny hopping and even ballroom dancing going on. I kid you not. They even hosed us down when things got too hot. Need proof, well just WATCH THIS VIDEO I put up on youtube of this insanity.

I had intended on watching Jess & the Ancient Ones before the day ended, but none of my friends seemed to be into it and honestly I sort of completely forgot that they were even playing. So, the rest of the time was just spent being a damn crazy metal drunk and enjoying what little time I had left with my friends at Tuska. Ministry closed the festival out, though not really in any favorable manner. It seemed like as soon as they began to play people started piling out and frankly after about five songs my friends and I hit the road too. I was never a fan of Ministry and I'm really just confused as to why they were chosen as the headliners, especially since their years of fame are far beyond them now, but I guess someone thought it was a good idea.

Since the fest ends early on the final day some friends and I spent the remaining hours of lights drinking and I mean drinking like goddamn maniacs at a nearby pub. This all sounds fine and harmless, really, except for the fact that my friend and I had a flight to catch at 10:45 Monday morning, which we nearly missed. As far as I can remember we drank until about 1 AM, said our goodbyes, got some food, got lost, but eventually made out way back to the hotel. Hangovers were all over the place a few hours later, my friend especially, which made for a very unpleasant time at the airport, but in the end we made the flight. We ended up staying in Stockholm one day, which was mostly spent sleeping once we found out hotel, but I went out for a nature walk by myself later in the evening, which was relaxing and enjoyable for me.

And that pretty much concludes Tuska 2012. As I said at the beginning I didn't really know what to expect, but I guess with the right level of alcohol and some good friends by my side the whole three days and the Finnish experience in general was amazing again.

When I came back last year I was really miserable, I guess because I really missed Finland right away, and I can tell you I do long to be back there already, but I felt so satisfied with this trip that it didn't get me depressed in any way this time around.

I've said it once and I've said it again that after visiting Finland it feels really appealing to try and move there someday soon. Being somewhat familiar with how to do it I'm really up for the challenge and I think its time to finally get out of this lame and completely metal lacking city I've been stuck in my entire life. It would be a dream come true and not many people realize any of theirs, I guess I've got a few and going to Tuska both the first time and this time was one of them. Now, if I can just move to Finland, learn some of the language, get a job and find a girlfriend and actually be in a place where metal is embraced and not shunned, well, I think I might be pretty damn close to what we humans call happiness.

Finally I wanted to thank the Tuska organizers for allowing me to have the press pass to this event, which might I add got me in for free as well I must send an infinite amount of thanks to my friends whom I enjoyed the fest with. A friendly handshake and hug to you all! See you soon!!

3 comments:

  1. Wow, that was a plenty to read and made me even more wish I'd attended Tuska too. Well, absence makes heart grow fonder or whatever so I suppose missing one year every now and then makes me appreciate it more again when I go.

    Very cool of the Tuska people to give you a press pass, must've made things a lot more convenient! You seem to have been able to catch a good number of bands, I'd say a bit better than I usually do, which is caused by either arriving late, being sociable, being drunk, forgetting the schedules or all mentioned. Too bad you missed the bands on Saturday night but on the other hand after two evenings and days of bands it's perfectly reasonable to engage in other hijinks.

    I'm happy to read you enjoyed the second Tuska and journey to Pohjola (what a clever reference) so much but you really ought to visit Finland in winter time as well to get a realistic picture of the place! ;) I myself would like to visit the States someday, even though it would take several trips to really see all of it. Perhaps if I win the lottery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great report!
    I actually nearly cried, remembering this damn brilliant experience :)
    Cheers from Bulgaria :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to hear that you had a timeless and amazing adventure as well, pal. :)

      Delete