10/20/2013

Harvest Ale - Southern Tier

Promising myself to check more Southern Tier Brewing products I stumbled across their 'Harvest Ale' recently. As I was eying it up I was thinking this was some sort of pumpkin-y ale, of course, completely forgetting that Southern Tier was responsible for the 'Pumking Ale,' which is the definitive pumpkin ale out there. Yes, somehow I forgot this. Whatever.

Anyway, 'Harvest Ale' pours out a copper color, with a one inch head, which took a few minutes before it dissipated and disappeared. Smell you ask? A quick whiff reveals a mild hoppy smell and some malts, which is sort of what I expected after I had the ale in my glass. There's also a notable citrus scent to this, which makes it seem all the more appealing as I prepare for my first sip. And that sip offers a rather bitter overall taste mixed with something of a caramel malt, spice and some very mild sweetness. The aftertaste is almost all bitter though, well, bitter mixed with some citrus, but its not really the most pleasant after taste I've experienced before. Honestly I wouldn't hesitate to say it almost has this piney flavor to it, like freakin' autumn leafs, even. The tastes do linger on the tongue though, be that a good or bad thing, depending on your preference for bitterer ales, I suppose.

Overall, I like, but don't like this one. Some sips taste better than the previous one, but that could just be because I've had a few beers before getting to this review. In any case, this is not an overly thick or heavy drink, and I'm sure it would work for folks that have serious admiration for hoppy and malty beers. That aftertaste just gets me each time. If it just had that bitter-y citrus taste all-around it wouldn't be that bad, but something seems slightly off with this one. I tell you what, I'm going to keep drinking them and see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment