8/10/2011

Deprived of Light - Colored Death (2011)

'Colored Death' is the debut EP from Deprived of Light, a two piece band from the south of France which features Lord Trowe (The Foetal Mind) and Psychotic (Psychocalypse). Musically these two create what to me sounds not entirely too distant from The Foetal Mind's recent venture into the post metal/rock world with his, 'The Grand Contraction' album, although the major difference being that four of the seven songs here have melodic death-ish styled vocals as well as some obvious metal influences in general.

I think what I really enjoy about this EP is just the whole atmosphere around it. At times it sounds a little melancholic at others its totally epic, here and there its a bit aggressive and quite often I sense this sort of inner longing from the music, almost like a lost soul trying to find his place in this world. There's also a bit of genre hopping since the intro & interlude are acoustic pieces, while the outro shows some electronic influences. Psychotic handles the vocals and they come in the form of a raspy squeal but on a few of the songs there are some cleanly sung parts which sound just fantastic, especially during, 'Cast into the Shade,' which I'd say is the EP's highlight.

All in all quite good, technical and melodic and generally just excellent material from these two guys. The only negative thing I could say is that I wish the production could have been stronger and I'm inclined to think that the extreme vocals might bother some people, but I guess it just depends on the listeners personal tastes. In any case I'm curious to hear more from this partnership soon.

As bonus tracks this release also contains three songs from Lord Trowe's own The Foetal Mind as well as two songs from Psychocalypse. The Foetal Mind tracks were originally downloadable only tracks which were only available to those that bought the last album, but I guess they were to good to use in that manner alone. This is definitely the case since these three songs are right in line with the, 'The Grand Contraction' and just for the sake of saying it, 'My Metal Ways I' is absolutely breathtaking!

Psychocalypse on the other hand is fairly standard melodic death metal. You know the drill; hard growled vocals, catchy riffs and melodic solos and as you might have guessed its pretty good too.

The album itself has not been released in any physical form and as far as I know there's probably no plans to do so, but for the curious you can download this entire release from Hypnotic Dirge Records FOR ABSOLUTELY FREE.


No comments:

Post a Comment