8/17/2013

Cathedral - The Last Spire (2013)

Long have I been a fan of Coventry, England, UK band Cathedral. Introducing myself to their early delights, such as, 'Forest of Equilibrium' & 'The Ethereal Mirror,' it wasn't long before I had everything else the band had released. My love for the band even reached a somewhat ridiculous climax a few years ago when I traveled to England just to see them play live at Bloodstock and even visit their hometown. So, as you can probably imagine hearing the news that the band was splitting up hit me in an odd way. No, I wasn't blubbering out tears and screaming, but you know, when a band you've loved for a long time splits it does rip something out of you. On the other hand, I believe all good things should come to their logical end and having been together since '89 that time had finally come for these doomsters. They'd etched the stone of doom and left their influence infinitely known among all that listen to this sort of music.

Prior to the recording of this album long time bassist Leo Smee left the band and was replaced by Scott Carlson of Repulsion, although Scott had helped Cathedral way back in '94 with a few Black Sabbath cover songs and live work prior to Smee joining the band that same year.

'The Last Spire' may be the bands last record, but in a way its like a journey back to the beginning. Forgoing the long time stoner metal/rock tendencies within their music and the more progressive and even experimental traits of their last record, 'The Guessing Game,' this final effort is pure heavy doom all the way. The atmosphere within the record is often dark and gloomy, the riffs are crushing and oppressive, while the tempo rarely goes faster than a turtles pace and the song writing itself is by far some of the finest they've busted out in years. Lee Dorian's signature voice is as ever strong and potent, as well the guest spots from Rosalie Cunningham (Purson) and Chris Reifert (Autopsy) only make the vocal portions of the album all the more dynamic. Honestly their are some proggy touches to the album, in the form of some moog and synth noodling, although its intermingled with the heavy riffing and hard hitting bass in just the right way that it seems very natural and not out of place at all.

Although I do enjoy this album quite a bit I found that its an album that really requires multiple listens before it really sinks in. I had the same issue with the previous Cathedral album, but this one being more straightforward I figured I'd be alright, yet that wasn't the case. Fortunately once you get to about the third of fourth spin you really take notice of the little things and see the album for what it is - bleak heavy as all get out traditional doom, just the way I like it.

I wont jump to an conclusions and call this the doom album of the century, because it surely is not that. However it is a solid piece of doom and a thrilling final statement from these legends. Surely a must for the long time fans, or even casual listeners of them, 'The Last Spire' may be the end of Cathedral, but I've got ten documents of doom to listen to from them until the day I die. Rest in Peace, Cathedral, the pallbearer is waiting for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment