2/03/2014

Saku Brewery LTD's, Saku Estonian Porter

As a starting point, I should mention that I have a connection of sorts to, Estonia. No, its not some family lineage or such, but rather, its more that I once had a love from Estonia, whom inspired and delighted me - I adored her! That is, until she vanished, found a man from her own country, leaving me with just her countries booze and memories to drink away. Such is, life.

Anyway, Saku Brewery, surely one I'm familiar with, and considering I can always find single bottles for under $2, they are hard to by pass with each liquor store visit.

Saku Estonian Porter, pours out a dark brown, almost black-ish color with a large, fluffy tan head, which sticks around for several minutes after emptying it into a tall glass. That first sniff is... faint. Diggin' my nose down deeper I catch notes of raisin with a smidgen of caramel and a whole lot of malt. The first taste is... different. Some sort of combination of a dried fruit, chocolate, molasses and the usual coffee flavors all hit my tongue, and good! A few more swigs reveal just the same, and I am not let down at all by this one. Rich, smooth and highly drinkable, and not to forget the already great price of each one.

Each 1 Pt. 0.9 FL. Oz. bottle has a 6.9% ABV, which seems sort of low for porter's, but then again this is the third bottle I've put back tonight, which means I'm feeling it.

All in all, if you really dig the sweeter side of the Porter palette, then you can't go wrong with this one. I've enjoyed Saku's various brews, and as I'd hoped, this one is a winner, too. The bottle suggests that its, "An ideal companion on a long winter night." I'd say that's about right, and insert "lonely" between long and winter and you'll be spot on.

No comments:

Post a Comment