3/12/2023

Abigail - Welcome all Hell Fuckers (2001)

Originally wrote & published on October 18th, 2005

Having existed since 1992 and personally knowing about the band for about five years now, I finally got my hands on a recording from Abigail. This Japanese band dubs themselves ‘The evilest band in Japan,’ and while I don’t completely agree with that (E.D.M. is my pick for evilest in Japan) there music at least lethally packs a mighty strong punch. This group of three (Yasuyuki, Youhei, and Yasunori) hit the listener with an intense delivery of old school sounding thrash metal with strongly screamed black metal vocals, plus I can also sense an influence from Motorhead, Iron Maiden, and early Bathory here and there. The riffs in this short eighteen minute EP are fast and rocking and make for some totally enjoyable party black metal that forces the listener to play the recording more than once. Out of the first four songs ‘War 666’ is a total beer chugging, head banging, metal killfest, that I can’t get enough of, whilst ‘Bloody Japanese Sword’ and ‘Yakuza!’ are equally powerful. The two live songs make up only six minutes of this EP, but unfortunately they leave a bit to be desired with the muddy production and much more black metal influenced musicianship. Despite that ‘Welcome all Hell Fuckers’ serves as a great introduction to this band, and I personally know I’ll be hearing more of their recordings in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment